Saturday, March 5, 2011

Things that go bump in the night...

New York is not a scary place. In fact, there are people everywhere - so you hardly ever feel alone or concerned. So what is there to be frightened of?

Whilst the Subway can be confusing it's hardly terrifying. As a side note, I recently discovered that my station in Australia is the second most dangerous in Sydney - and I'm not afraid of Sutherland Station so maybe I'm just some sort of super brave hero... (I know what you're thinking - Either its not scary, or she's just been dancing about not paying attention to what's going on... again)

When I first arrived in Manhattan I was not concerned about catching the subway - but I did think twice when my tour guide said "No need to be frightened at Subway stations - the worst thing that can happen is a crazy person could push you onto the tracks. That rarely happens."

What do you mean rarely???

OK - so seriously, what is there is be frightened of? Perhaps its time for me to ask myself is it really just the wind making those bumping noises all night? Surely I should be concerned about the howling? My apartment over looks Ground Zero. Quite a humbling view that had me in awe when I arrived. Slowly I am becoming immune to it... seeing and hearing (at all hours of the night) only a construction sight. Living in the middle of such a historic place should perhaps cause one to start to think about life... death... and things that go bump in the night.





Actually there is something eerie about Downtown (make of it what you will....!) Its strange how you can feel that the area has been through a lot. September 11 2001, both Financial Crisis... Its like you can feel the emptiness that has replaced rush, people, excitement and money. Of course when I asked around about this I was told No, Downtown has always been a bit of an empty spot. Need to go to Midtown for the action.

Damn! Why don't I ever get to see anything spooky?

Ok - so if I'm really after spookiness I'm in the right spot - my apartment is a five minute walk from two of two of the most beautiful cemetaries I have ever seen. One is quaint, old and gorgeous. Especially with the leaves off the trees. The other is grand. When it snowed they looked so beautiful.


Trinity

St Pauls

I really like cemetaries. They are places reserved for remembering life - and I read somewhere once that all anybody wants is to be remembered by somebody. So if 300 years after somebody died I can walk up to their grave and think This person was here. He lived - That is something beautiful and peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment