Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Butter





The first time I saw or heard about Butter was on Gossip Girl (here I go again...)


On more than one occasion Blair has attempted to win over minions with promises of reservations at Butter. Must be a spectacular restaurant to have such a strong allure. But how to snag a reservation? When K arrived in NY he was on the job - turns out that it is difficult to get a table, especially when you are looking at 7 people for a Friday night. A visit to Butter before May was looking unlikely... then something happened.

On Monday night I tried my hand at cooking, only it wasn't food, it was my hard drive. So with my handy old Thinkpad dead (moment of silence please), I needed something to cheer me up. K was on the job managing to get a table at Butter for three. I grab E and we headed off to meet K in Noho. 

But could Butter really live up to the hype?

If I had not already know about it I would never have spotted Butter from the outside. In fact, on first sighting I was dissapointed. As I am coming to learn, to see NY you need to know what you are looking for. Its difficult to wander around hoping to stumble upon a gem.



Once we stepped inside the restaurant my disappointment was tranformed - I was enchanted. There were trees with fairy lights and gorgeous curved, wooden walls. A huge forest mural lit up the back of the room. Easy to see why Blair's friends wanted to dine here.



The food and wine were just as impressive. I had a bit of trouble ordering... I am still afraid of one of my favourite dishes, Ravioli, after a bad experience at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant at The London NYC. I chicken out of Ravioli (literally ordered chicken) and E & K went for the duck.

On first bite K made some sorted of a "wow" noise and E & I said "we know." You know the food is good when a heated conversation stops completely while everyone eats, then starts again as soon as the food is finished. It was so good that K nearly finished as quickly as me. I say nearly because nobody is that fast.



Overall a fantastic night, great atmosphere and lots of laughs. It's always fun to pretend to be a Gossip Girl....You know you love me...

No comments:

Post a Comment