Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Learning the Native Language

It's about time for another post on the American language. It's been a while because, quite frankly, I'm getting the hang of it... either that or "my Americans" are getting better at pretending to understand me.

Americans: Do you try and speak more clearly for us?
Me: No, but I try and speak more slower... and not incorrect phrases like "more slower"
Americans: <looks of fear>

There have been a few odd slips of the tongue (apparently dodgy is a strange term) and a few embarrassing moments:

Partner: Have you been getting by on the expense plan?
Me: I haven't started busking yet
Partner: <look of fear>
Me: Oh you guys don't say busking right?
Partner: No, that's European...

Speaking of European - since coming to America I have learnt that my accent, which I have always considered quite dreadful, is actually very proper (yeah right!) I love that when US natives imitate my voice it sounds like me imitating an English accent. We are also often teased at how European our phrases are.

Anyway, now that I'm getting the words down, time to start picking up my very own NY accent. A conversation between IT, my American friend and myself was particularly fun..

Mr IT: I won't call Oz IT yet, it must be morning coffee time... I mean tea time! You drink tea right?
Me: No we drink coffee in Australia
My American Accent Tutor: What did we speak about?
Me: Sorry, we drink cawwwfeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment