Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A New York State of Mind

Today I was thinking about some of the things I've done and some of the things I want to do while I am in New York. It made me realise how much of my time here is spent at work rather than out experiencing the city - but I wouldn't change that.
I like work - if you could sit in the front row at work you already know I would. But its more than that - I'm learning so much about the people and their country by working with and for them. Its the after work happy hours, asking for help from other analysts and the water cooler conversations (ok, I've never really had a water cooler conversation) that really have made my time here extra special.

  • Most people say "Hi, how are you?" when they pass you in the hall or ladies room. And they say it like they mean it. Everyone has been so really friendly and eager to help and talk to us
  • Everyone says thankyou for everything. Even if it was he or she who did the thing for you
  • We get to sit in little cubicles (jokingly called our jail cells). Its nice to have your own little area, with three walls and a little whiteboard. I have my new cell number on my whiteboard. E has I Heart Jason. Ooh la la! She claims it was left there by the last desk occupant... What evs!
  • I like my team. Its small and supportive. Everyone is aware of each other and how we fit in to the bigger picture and engagement. At the end of each day when the first person leaves V (our friend from Region 10) says "Half day for you is it?" and M cringes because "Its not funny anymore!" I love it
  • There are coffee machines in the break room - which I used to hate but now I love. I could make up a thousand excuses about learning how to use the machine properly etc, but I'm probably just becoming a real American and enjoying American coffee. Next thing you know I'll be swearing by Dunkin' Donuts coffee and buying Americano coffee at Starbucks. Grande please!
Of course I miss Sydney too. I miss catching the train to work. I miss lunch breaks with everyone in the kitchen. I miss my second monitor. I especially miss it on Fridays when I realise ... ITS ALREADY SATURDAY THERE!  

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't miss your second monitor... because Real Lara has acquired it and is now happily using it! :)

    xo Real Lara (Monica)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I'm glad you have it! Take both - or make sure someone else has the other one. xx

    ReplyDelete