Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

Wow. Just wow. Such a fun Saturday at MOMA - I could keep going back and back and back. I only managed to see three and a half of the five levels today.... but even what I saw was worth seeing a thousand times more.

First exhibition I entered was Music 3.0. There was a music video montage playing of three 80s hip hop songs. The rest of the exhibit was a combination of sound (headphones), video clips and pictures. There were also interactive stations to get hands on with the music. The hip hop theme reflected what I'm discovering to be a part of the sounds of New York.


Next up I saw Project 94 by Henrick Oleson... Basically a breakdown and build up of the "machine". Whilst R (who went through separately to me) hated it I couldn't have loved it more. A unique exhibit, but very suited to my taste. At the start of the small room is an empty printer box... followed by a plain piece of paper with letters randomly placed. Over a number of different artworks the letters begin to make words - "teeth", "mouth", "knees" etc until they make the body, and the "body is the machine." This was all combined with disembodied computers and printers. As well a few randomly placed candy bar wrappers.


There were lots of more quirky pieces of art were on this first floor of the museum... I could have stayed there for hours. I liked the combination of sculpture, paintings, text, videos and sounds.


The below piece by David Wojnarowicz gave me shivers every time I read it.... To see in more detail: Untitled (one day this kid)



Next floor was the photography exhibit... very disturbing. Made me question: when does art cross the line into socially unacceptable?

Running out of hours in the day I skipped a few levels to head for some of the big name pieces.

I spent a while wondering through the paintings looking for a Dali piece (The Persistence of Memory)... which I expected to be much bigger. Whilst I was surprised it was tiny it was better in real life - absolutely mesmerising. It was like dreaming while being awake...


Another famous painting (perhaps the one that drew the biggest crowd) was Starry Night by Van Gough. I've always admired this picture, but it blew me away in real life. When I saw it I didn't have to think, or even turn my imagination on. It just swept me up and into it. And around and around and around.



Of course there were others too... Matisse's palette made me want to dance... His paintings looked like Colours grooving out on paper. The one below is called The Red Studio.


The museum is famous for its Picasso collection. Something about the angles and lines confused me, but appealed to my love of maths... I really liked his angular pictures with people, like the one below called The Studio.



Running out of time before I had to meet the gang I did a quick 15 minute dash around the Andy Warhol Motion Pictures exhibit. This exhibition is of a number of silent black and white films of faces. Almost like moving portraits. It was interesting to see how people behave when just sitting there as a live portrait. Can't wait to go back and watch more...

A note on pricing... It's $20 to visit the museum, however, as an international guest membership is only $60.00 and includes unlimited yearly access and $5 guest tickets. So if you want to come and visit me I'll get you in for cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment