Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cupcakes, Chelsea and Vintage Jewellery



Saturday has quickly become Coffee Saturday. The name of the day and the mission - to find good cawwwwfeee. This Saturday we were armed with M who was taking up to her favourite cupcake store - Baked by Melissa. Coffee from Joes was heavenly, but perhaps not worth a second visit. It was Baked by Melissa that really blew me away. Tiny bite sized cupcakes in flavours from Cookie Dough to S'more (or Smmmmmallll as I say in my terrible accent).



We ate and drank happily on the stairs of Union Square (you know I love it because I keep going back) and we watched the Chess Man wait for an opponent. Of course K volunteered. We had to encourage him, he was bashful. But K knows how to bluff his opponent. "So, what are the rules of this game" he asked casually as he sat down.

It was brutal, it was intense and the crowd watched on. Creepy homeless men shouted out tips from the sidelines. Sadly K didn't take home the prize ( Commentary from one homeless man: "You paniced early!!") But it was a knoble attempt. It was the sporting event of the decade. Good game friends.


I love love love love union square (or as R would say Hello, hello, hello Union Square!) It was partiuclarily fun on a Saturday morning. Fruit stalls were open and there was a florist selling the prettiest, funnest (is that even a word?) flowers I have ever seen. The tulips were a red so bright I didn't know it exisited. Now I'm so excited about berry season.







We spent the afternoon wondering around Chelsea. What a fantastic, quirky suburb. My favourite part of the day was finding a tiny vintage jewellery store. I could have spent hours in there looking at the old charms, earings, rings and keys. Each item had a label with the era it was from. I chose a gold charm braclet from the 60s with a blues theme. Only $22. I'm hoping J comes so I can take her to this store. She'd love it! (Actually I am refering to two different J's here... but no one will know)

Eventually we made our way to Macy's - Meet back outside in two hours. Here is where I have to admit something shameful. I was out shopped by a couple of boys. After an hour and a half inside the most hectic store of all time (favourite purchase was a photographic images book on NY for $10) I collapsed and waited outside on the street enjoying the people watching. 

Afterwards I learnt the other girls were around doing the same thing! Only the boys managed to last the two hours and even then they called us up to say "Go ahead without us - we need more time. "  

And so we left them. Happy, tired and a little confused by our shopping shame!



1 comment: