Thursday, March 3, 2011

Inside the Met



I wished my little brother could have gone with Pants and me to the Metropolitan Museum of Art - everything made me think of him. So much history. And so beautiful. Amazing Eqyptian atrifacts, stunning Roman marble statues and Greek artworks. I was struggling to take in all of the history as well as admiring the pieces.



The design of the building itself blew me away. Three story high glass walls of windows in some of the rooms and huge pieces of art and history incorporated in the structure. Personally what I really loved was the modern art. Whilst I'm no art connoisseur I love looking at pieces that make me think.


I spent a long time looking at the above piece (I don't remember the artist) and explaining to Pants what I thought it was all about. At the end she said "Taby, you have a crazy imagination. You can have all of my children's paintings because I'm just going to look at them and say What is this rubbish!"

Of course, she's right... I'm absolutley mad - but its a good painting right?

Despite our different tastes we both agreed on our favourite painting in the whole museum. As we left the modern art exhibition one piece stopped us in our tracks. It was spectacular. We both stood in awe - it was interesting but so strange. Like an alternate universe that (if only nobody else was around) we could have stepped up and into.




It was a Dali. Now all of a sudden I'm thinking about Daddy who has been talking about Dali ever since before I was born. Actually, just being in a museum made me think about Dad. As will Broadway. And everytime I pass a house with a stoop.

Walking around admiring piece after piece for three hours was exhausting us, so even though we'd only touched the tip of the iceberg we called it a day. Also - K was offering to buy as lunch if we met him at that point - so it was a no brainer.

Before we entered the Met Pants warned me that you could go every weekend for the rest of your life and not see it all properly. She was right. I'm sure be back - next time with little bro in tow.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment