Sunday, March 27, 2011

Checkmate!


Basically the point of this post is to brag about my chess playing prowess. Basically Leonard forced me against my better judgement to play against a random person on the street... but I came out on top... shocked? Let me explain.

Everybody who knows Mr K (pictured above) knows that he is mad for Chess. An addict, the King of his own board, all time greatest mastermind etc. Basically I thought the problem had reached an all time high when he got his chess board out and started challenging people at Union Square (also above). I was wrong.

Yesterday night on the way out to one of the Melbourne girl's Birthday celebrations he stopped in his tracks (not the best idea in NY.. you will be knocked down.) A wide grin came across his face and he started urging me to follow him as he changed directions away from the group.

As we walked he told me the story of the Polish man who waits for people to challenge him to Chess outside the Polish embassy. He wanted me to verse this guy. No, no, no, no! No way was I playing chess with a random person on the side of the street. I mean I know what the pieces are... but that is about the extent of my chess knowledge.

I tried to stop K from making me play as we walked towards the embassy: Why don't you just play him? But the answer was shocking I already have. This was looking bad.


When we arrived my fears subsided. I'd take on this guy - a worthy opponent. See me out smarting my opponent below. Too easy!


Of course Potato wanted to jump on board (literally) given his heritage and asked for a picture on the Polish man's lap...


(Before you call the bullying hot line Potato requested that I post this picture...)

Anyway I think I'll retire and put away my bishop safe in the knowledge that I am the grand master.

No comments:

Post a Comment