Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Morning at NYU

As I write this I am sitting in Washington Square Park** - in the heart of New York University. It's sunny and warm and a man is playing classical music on a piano. The music fills the air providing a backdrop as people lie in the sun, sip coffee and study.

**Whilst this was posted after the fact, I wrote everything below while sitting in Washington Square Park this morning.



I'm not joking by the way - people really are basking up the sun. The day is gorgeously sunny. Freezing cold - but it's wonderful to feel and smell the sun.

When I first arrived in the area I was intending on grabbing a coffee and wandering down to the park. I thought it would be easy to find good coffee in an area inhabited by students. No luck. I managed to find one place that looked super funky and was branded at "Faye's at the Square". It seemed hip and there were people inside with Macs. Had to be good, right? But alas! It was a cleverly disguised Starbucks. In absence of any other options - and because everybody insight was sipping on a Grande, I caved in.

I am so glad I did - It is fantastic. Best coffee! Strong, bitter. Everything a latte should be.... and from Starbucks! I guess I'm not in Kansas anymore. 



So here I sit - in the sun, sipping coffee. In the middle of the park there is, what appears to be, a fountain, turned off for winter. Children are playing inside with skateboards and other toys. The two men sitting next to me are arguing loudly which sounds strange with the piano music in the background.

I cannot describe how tranquil yet bustling this moment it. Its like a form of peaceful urban that is only experienced on a university lawn - only this is grander. The Washington Square Arc towers over the Sunday afternoon crowd. A few tourists are snapping pictures with it.

A girl just squealed out "I dance to this song" and has started to dance ballet to the piano music. Her friends are sprawled along the edge of the fountain and lazily cheer her on. It's a magical moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment