Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The (new) wolf of Wall Street

I'm back in Manhattan and this time I have a cool new Wall Street address. 






It's a one bedroom apartment and about twice the size of my old studio. The building was originally an office block, but was converted to a residential building in 2008. There has been a trend for offices on Wall Street to convert to residential after business began to move uptown following September 11 2001. 


My apartment building has a gym, drying cleaning service and a buffet breakfast (BYO vegemite). I'm pretty sure half of the occupants are vampires, but this works well - There is always plenty of food left at the breakfast buffet. It's about a twenty minute walk from the office and directly across the road from the client site. Of course my boss noticed a small problem with this - "So you can see into their offices from your living room?" Yes. "And they can see you?" Yes. "You sure you don't want to move?"  


Of course not! The kitchen is big enough to run in!






The one thing that does irk me about my new Wall Street apartment is ducking protestors on the way home from work. Actually the Police blockades are a greater problem than the protesters themselves. The Police have blocked a number of streets (including part of Wall) to prevent the protesters from expanding their camp. On the weekend, this doubles my journey to the subway. Last Sunday when I was stopped a third time I was tempted to beg "Please let me through! I promise I'm not a protester... Look at me, I'm the corporate greed!"








If only I had have Noodles with me. She did a good job explaining to me why I am the personification of corporate greed  - "You live on Wall Street and you commute to the World Financial Center." Of course this means that some of the protest signs can be hurtful. "Smash Corporate Greed!" Please don't hurt me. 

Nevertheless for the meantime I'm rocking Wall Street happily - maybe speak to me in a couple of weeks when its below freezing and I am trekking a mile to work in the snow. I'll keep you posted.



No comments:

Post a Comment