Thursday, November 17, 2011

The flying wombat

The beginning of a second New York adventure meant another Qantas flight. Exciting! At nearly 24 hours, it's a long flight, but it's an adventure. Food, movies, unlimited apples... free PJs. Living the dream.

When I booked my ticket my Mum told me I would be flying on the same flight as three of her friends (Izzy, Patty and Sandy). When I said a teary goodbye to my family in Sydney I had no time to dwell - I was joined by these three gorgeous ladies in the Qantas lounge. They were bubbling over their up coming holiday and the energy was contagious.

Izzy: Am I swelling up?
Patty: A little...
Izzy: I'm allergic to champagne...

Our trip was one week before the grounding of Qantas flights. There was a lot of talk of the ground staff strikes at the airport. On board the pilots gave their pitch about how Qantas should look after the people in uniform because these are the folk who have made the airline iconic. I totally agreed. After all, where would Qantas be without their pilots? And the PJs, of course.

Flight attendant: Would you like Pajamas?
Me: Umm, ok, why not?
Patty: This young lady only flys Qantas for the PJs!
Me: Er... true...

After all of this talk of pajamas, Patty was surprised to learn I don't even wear the PJs on board. "I'm saving them!" True enough, I have worn them everyday since. I'm wearing them now.

Despite our flight being unaffected by the grounding, it was delayed - one hour in the terminal, then an additional three on the runway. Nothing to do with the strikes... rather, an engine problem. Come on Ally J - pull it together!

On board it was super hot. Miserable. When the pilot announced we may miss our connection in LA everyone freaked out. Far out, we just wanted to get to New York!

I was concerned, but not for long. My travel buddies were laughing at the news - "I've always wanted to go to Disney land!" Hmm they made a good point. I guess there are worse things than a stop over in California. I could get used to these girls.   

Eventually we did take off. We rushed through LA airport. Izzy took the lead - "Come on ladies, move, move, move!" Sandy and Patty groaned light heartedly "We're going to need to get her an umbrella to hold up. She can take tourists around Central Park."

Touching down at JFK felt nice. It was good to be back. Only... my earphones were stuck in my seat. I tugged. They didn't budge. I tugged some more... they disappeared further. Next thing I had a flight attendant and another passenger helping to untangle the mess.

Me: Forget it... it's ok
Flight attendant: No, no we'll get them!
Me: They cost ten bucks, it's really ok

At that the passenger ran, but the flight attendant tugged a bit more. Finally I insisted he stop - "I have to go, my friends are waiting for me.."

All was not lost - While I was collecting my luggage I heard the flight attendant running up behind me. "Got your earphones!!" That is good customer service.

Patty, Sandy, Izzy and I bid goodbye after making a dinner date for later in the week. Despite the rain, our dinner at Bubby's was lots of fun. We laughed and ate and drank. The girls told me about their adventures in New York and I told them about my adventures at work... Then we ate pie.



All in all, a wonderful evening.

Mum: Did you enjoy dinner with my friends?
Me: You mean my friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment