Thursday, November 10, 2011

Kid in Manhattan



One Sunday afternoon I jumped on an R train home. I normally try to avoid the R, it's the worst. Apparently I am not the only hater. I was sitting on the train (somewhat) minding my own business when I noticed a small boy crying to his father. There were tears streaming down his face "I want to catch the 4 train!"



His father consoled him "We can't catch the 4, we have to catch the R. We are going to Brooklyn." The boy was not comforted, "But I want to go to 86th street! I want to take the four!"

His younger brother was much more sensible "The 4 is good, but I like the R too! We can go to Atlantic Ave, Union Street..."

 The passengers sitting by me were all amused by the child's deep knowledge of the subway stops. I guess it's essential when you are a kid in Manhattan.

For a light hearted New Yorker's take on kids and the Subway read The Boys and the Subway

No comments:

Post a Comment