Thursday, July 7, 2011

Happy 4th of July

I was born on the same day as America. I remember when I found this out. I was in year one and a new girl had started at my school. She was from New Zealand and was sitting near me on the seats outside our classroom with her Mum.

Her Mum started chatting to me, eventually finding out that my birthday was the 4th of July - "Did you know that you share a birthday with America?" No, I did not. This was cool.

So this year, I found myself in New York for Independence Day. Best bit? Four day weekend! Brilliant. My brothers were visiting from Australia and we spent the long weekend exploring the city and discovering interesting places to brunch.

The actual 4th of July was all about the fireworks. (I asked my boss if New York put the show on for me. He considered it but said "No, but we gave you the day off.")

E, Cupcake (a new and welcomed Australian), Potato, R and I turned up to 40th street on the Hudson River at 4pm. Even though the fireworks didn't start until 9pm there was a crowd. We struggled, but managed to find a prime spot.

Sadly, when R and I went to get snacks, the others were kicked out of our spot by the NYPD. There were thousands of millions of police officers patroling the event. It was quite a sight to see. The crowd was so orderly and well mannered. Everytime the police came around and told us to stand up, we stood. (Then sat when they left... but still, the effort was there.) When I asked Potato why everybody was so quick to follow orders he pointed out "They are affraid of being tasered... or worse." Good point.

There was a little bordem... (Sitting on a New York City road gets a bit old...)  And we lost a few people - R left to get his camera a couple of hours before, and the police wouldn't let him back in. Too sad, especially because he came back with cupcakes. My brothers also missed out because they had to use the Men's room and couldn't get back in.

But in the end it was worth it. By far the most spectacular fireworks display I have ever seen.



As far as Birthdays go, it was a special weekend. The day off, fireworks, visiting brothers, two suprise birthday cakes at work (thanks Noodles et al), suprise brownie & prezzies at Social Eatz (thanks R and E), and a call from my Nanna:

Nanna: You so old! How do you feel?
Lara: Wiser... you can hear it in my voice, can't you.
Nanna: Hmmm... yes, yes I can hear it

No comments:

Post a Comment