Sunday, July 24, 2011

College Summit - A Life changing Weekend

Those who know me well, will know that I can be flippant with the phrase "that was the best day of my life." I just love saying this, because I honestly feel that life keeps getting better and better - there is no looking back. So, I need you to know that I mean the following right from my core -

This weekend was the best weekend of my life.  

I have been deeply moved and inspired. My heart has been touched and I have grown as a person. This weekend, I was a writting coach at College Summit. 

In America today, there isn't a systemic approach to getting all college-ready students to college.  Every year, hundreds of thousands of high school students who are "better than their numbers"—who have average test scores and/or grades—but who have clearly demonstrated their potential for college success, fail to make it to college. Data shows that getting into college requires more than solid academic preparation and even adequate financial aid.
College Summit has worked in partnership with schools, school districts and colleges to develop a sustainable model for raising college enrollment rates community-wide.   
If communities can raise their college-going rates community-wide, affordably, then America’s college transition gap can be solved.  Hundreds of thousands of young people will break the cycle of poverty for their families, and America will stand stronger tapping their talent.  College Summit and our school partners, together with our higher education, corporate and philanthropic allies are committed to the day when every student who can make it in college makes it to college.  
http://www.collegesummit.org/

Myself and nine colleagues participated in College Summit by acting as Writing Coaches at a four day workshop held at Yale University. Each Writing Coach was each give four to five students to assist with writing their Personal Statement. (The Personal Statement is an essay that the student submits with their college applications to give the college an idea of who the student is as a person.)

I can hear the screams coming from any avid readers of this blog "Her?! A writing coach? That is disturbing!" I appreciate your concern, but fear not, dear readers. As a writing coach my job was not to teach the students how to write, but to help them translate the beat of their heart into words. Although, yesterday one of my students did declare, "Lara, how can you be our teacher when you can't even spell!" Kids nowadays...

All four of my students were precious. They were incredibly smart and determined. Five minutes after I met them they had all eagerly told me their career and collage dreams. I was instantly inspired by their passion.

When they began to write, their words blew me away. They were so powerful. As I sat in the classroom checking their papers I felt wave after wave of shivers run through me. Not only did they have clear direction,  they were able to convey this with passion and beauty. The raw sadness of their stories made me feel so deeply for them. I was brought to the verge of tears by the strength and confidence they had. All of my students were raising above any adversity and I could see this in their words and faces - they were four shining stars.

I don't know what my students did wrong to get placed with the Australian. I know they did find me a little bizarre but they loved it. Turns out that threatening to break out my dance moves is an effective teaching technique.

That wasn't the only occasion where I got some odd looks. One morning I took one of my students outside to give her some feedback. I was distracted when I noticed a squirrel playing nearby on the steps of a building.

Me: "Check it out, a squirrel!"
Student: <Looks at me with extreme concern>
Me: "Oh! I'm so sorry, I forgot, you're American, squirrels aren't exciting to you."

The team from College Summit were spectacular. They created an incredible vibe and kept the students pumping despite the tough environment... Their schedules were packed from 7:30am to 11:15pm... and I doubt many of them went straight to bed. It's no wonder the catch phrase of the weekend was "I'm tired, I'm hungry, I'm hot, I'm bored!"

To be honest, it wasn't just the students who were hot and tired - it was us writing coaches too. One night I was only just climbing onto my one inch thick plastic mattress at 1:30am. It had been a late night reading papers and writing feedback. Of course, it was a joy to read the papers, but nevertheless, I was exhausted. It was a surprise I could sleep at all given it was 30 degree Celsius outside (86F). That's right - in the middle of the night it was 30C... and our dorms didn't have air conditioning!

After a wonderful weekend, this morning it was time to pack up our bags and leave Yale. I was feeling so proud, of both my students and myself. I felt fulfilled. I know that by helping these beautiful young people I have made a difference in this world. I have inspired them and they are all going to make beautiful footprints on this Earth.

So, despite swearing black and blue that I would not cry, it is not a surprise that I was a mess of tears at the final goodbye. The goodbye ritual was unique and touching. In a hypnotic, beautiful voice, the College Summit director spoke to us. We said goodbye to all of the students in complete silence, simply looking deep into their eyes as the College Summit director spoke to us. She spoke about the hardships some of the students had faced, but more importantly she talked about their determination and strength.


"Your past does not define your future"

Initially I was awkward and a little uncertain as I looked directly into the first student's eyes. But I was able to let go of my reservations and really look into the students eyes. I saw her. I saw pain and sadness. But more than that I saw passion and desire. She was powerful and ambitious. She was a smart and a beautiful girl. The world could be hers, all she needed was someone to believe in her. She was asking me to believe in her. I did.

As I looked into her eyes it was as if our souls connected. I felt her leave an imprint on my being and I left an imprint on her. Never before had I spoken to this girl, yet we had truly touched each other.

As I made eye contact with each student I felt a deep connection. I could physically feel my heart swell. Finally, I reached my own student - my beautiful island girl. The look in her sweet, sweet, shy face was overwhelming. I saw so much admiration and love. As we looked into each other's eyes we both sobbed happily. I felt we were connected.

After this ceremonial goodbye, we said our real goodbyes. There was more emotion. It's hard for me to describe how moved I felt. It's like my heart had grown. I knew that I would never be the same person again. In the crowd I searched for my four students and said a special goodbye. Last to say goodbye was the class clown - A confident and extraordinarily bright young man who can beat box like nobody's business. As we parted his words moved me deeply -

"You will never how how much you have helped me."

To all of the young people at the workshop I would say - Thank you for changing the world. You are writing a wonderful future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment