Thursday, June 30, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad

I am Laura Ingall's namesake. Well, my name isn't really Laura, so it's more that I like to think of myself as her namesake. But why would anyone openly liken themself to a spoilt young red head? Because Laura Ingall's is the original Daddy's Girl. Any father would be lucky to have a daughter who loves him as much as Laura loves Michael (and he'd be a hard man to love.) That's why like to think of myself as Laura's namesake.
Excluding the time he suggested ordering takeaway for the Independance Day celebrations, my Dad is easy to love. Because he is so cool. Michael Langdon works five jobs and plays the banjo. But my Dad can do more (and he does it without going on about it). I miss him a lot. Its making me too sad just writing this... so I'm going to skip to the fun bit.

My Daddy's Adventures in NYC

1. He introduced planking to New York... he planked on the subway, in the park, on a bench in the street...
2. He dropped a sour candy under my bed. He picked it up along with a handful of dust and ate it. I was rolled up in a ball laughing hysterically for at least five minutes while he coughed up the dust
3. He insisted on carrying my bags when we went shopping. I would pretend to get mad and steal them back so that he could get mad and steal them back back. I'm not sure if he ever figured out that I actually liked him carrying the bags (because I am quite lazy)
4. He finally found the Atari tshirt he has been looking for for years. He was so happy that the next day he was parading around New York in it. Mum stopped him from wearing it again after we were followed for a block by a homeless man trying to talk to Dad about old video games
5. He watched the pile of scary movies I'd been collecting since arriving in New York with me
6. He fixed my handrail even though I said I liked it broken. I admit now, it actually is better not broken. You can actually use it
7. He played Nine Men's Morris with me even though he lost every time
8. He made fun of Tony from Little Italy on the Empire State Building audio tour with me
9. He taught me infinite knowledge on cameras and stuff....
(Mum: Stop reading and listen to your father!
Me: I am!
Mum: Then what is he saying
Lara: Cameras and stuff
Mum: Oh, sorry)
10. We went outlet shopping and he bought hardly anything. Then R took him into a Nike shop just as we were about to leave. He came out with a bag full of goodies. What happened!! ....R gave me some coupons...
11. Given that my Dad is normally quite price concious I took him to Best Buys and said "choose something for your Birthday". He picked some sort of picture editing software (again with the cameras) and I took it to pay. "That will be $9999"... "HUH!!"... Ummm luckily it was a problem with the scanning device and not Dad's expectations!!
12. When I asked for a "story with out any fuss", he promised to make one up, like he did when I was a kid
Dad: "Once upon a time there was a girl... who went walking in the woods....and came across a cottage.... and there were three bears..."
Mum: "PLAGIARISM! Plagiarism!!!"


Dad


Anyway, my point is: I miss you Dad and I love you. Happy Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment