Monday, February 6, 2012

Undercover at a traditional gentlemen's club

Perhaps the most sophisticated place I have been in New York, or rather, my life is the University Club on 54th Street and 5th Avenue.



The University Club is an exclusive social club dating back to 1861 and was found by a group of college friends. The club was traditionally gentlemen only and was one of the last of the clubs in Manhattan to let women in. It is hard to become a member. Firstly you need to fit a list of requirements (for example be educated and blah blah blah). Secondly, you need a letter of recommendation from six people in the club. I have heard that this is kind of hard because the people in the club don't tend to socialize with people outside of the club! I have done some research to try to find out the dues, but they are undisclosed. From the grandeur inside it is quite obvious it is not cheap.

My boss is a member and I have been lucky enough to have been to the club on two occasions for team events. Both times we have gone on Wednesday night for the seafood buffet. Both times my boss has been a little anxious, giving the speech to the team: "Please dress appropriately... don't wear... ummm, just dress nicely. Just because it's a buffet you don't have to go crazy - this is not the last time you will see food. You can always make two trips..." The Australian translation of this speech is simply: "This is not Sizzler guys!"

The entrance hall to the club is amazing. It is a huge space with exceptionally tall ceilings, kind of different to my Nanna's bowling club! The people are similarly glamorous - it is quite an intimidating crowd. Older men looking sharp in their suits, wives in arm in designer clothes with fancy hair and jewelry. Noodles commented to our boss "I don't think I will be like this when I am older." When he questioned why she simply replied: "More cats."

On our most recent trip to the we started with a lecture from Gretchen Morgenson from the New York Times. She spoke about her book Reckless Endangerment which is about the recent crash of the U.S. economy. Very relevant and and extraordinary opportunity to hear her speak in person. She had some very interesting and controversial points which certainly made for interesting dinner conversation.

Despite eager to debrief the lecture none of us could wait to eat. As soon as it was over we headed up to the dining room. It was quite a funny moment when it came to wine selection:

Waiter: How many people will be drinking?
Boss: Well Zubi will be - who else?
Me: Wait! What! Why assume me? 
Boss: You're Australian aren't you?
Me: Ahh


The food at the club is incredible! Everything tastes amazing and fresh. The dessert section is to die for - limitless quantities of every fancy treat you could dream of. Cheesecake, chocolate mousse, strawberries, tiramisu...

Going to the club is like going to a whole other world, and I am sure, like me, my colleagues will continue to work hard in the hopes of being invited back.... I really just want another piece of the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment