Thursday, February 9, 2012

Miss, you love your shoes don't you?

Yes I do! I love my boots - so when my exasperated shoe repair man rang me up on Tuesday and said it was time to give up on them I was devastated. "There has to be a way to fix them?" The man scolded me over the phone,

"Miss you cannot treat your shoes like this! The stitching is all undone! The soles are completely worn... It would be better to buy new boots!" He sighed, "You love these shoes?"

"Yes, they are my favorite!"

"Ok, I will do my best. It seems Miss, that sometimes we abused the things we love the most."



Wow... Deep... He came through too. In less than twenty four hours I picked up the boots and they were better than new. I think even the support was better. I slipped them on and practically danced to work where I spent the morning showing them off. That afternoon it was snowing, it was late and there was a long line of cabs outside the office trying to tempt me - but they had nothing on my boots... I happily walked home!

My boots originally belonged to my Mummy. So the story goes, when she was pregnant with me she traveled from Malaysia to London and was struck by the change in weather. Her feet were so cold, so my father's Aunty helped her to buy a pair of boots. She loved them as shoes should be loved and eventually handed them down to me. Quite frankly, at sixteen, I was not impressed and back they went into the cupboard. Four years ago I stumbled upon them and was delighted by my find. I tried them on... perfect. They looked funky and they were super comfortable.

They are on the warm side for an Australian winter but that didn't stop me from wearing them - when I came to New York last year they were wonderful! I have explored the city in them and they hold the memories of all of the adventures I have had. At the same time they comfort me as something from home. How could new shoes compete with that!

I guess I am just enthusiastic about my boots... Or as my colleague would say "more like delusional!" Looking forward to taking the rest of Mum's shoes collection to Minas Shoe Repairs!*



*Mummy - this is a hint that you should bring me more of your shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment