Sunday, January 22, 2012

Ice skating in Central Park

Perhaps the most magical experience of my New York Christmas was ice skating to Christmas Carols at dusk in Central Park with leaves frozen in the ice beneath my feet.


Bolt had two wishes for her visit to NYC. She wanted to see a Broadway show and she wanted to go ice skating in Central Park. At first I was skeptical about the second wish - I mean, ice skating? Sounded like a lot of effort. But she was persistent and I am so grateful that she was. We had the time of our lives. There is something wonderful about skating in the outdoors, dreaming with your friend about what you are going to do and where you are going to go. I felt very free.

Given it was Thanksgiving weekend, the rink was not too crowded. We did learn quickly that the key to not falling (and neither of us fell) is to avoid children covered in ice. Kids covered in ice fall a lot - and that means they run into people! We were not stable enough to handle those little menaces...

Bolt and I skated for a long time until Bolt's travel buddy developed some concern that they would miss their flight back to Houston... we resisted for a while "Can we skate for just one more song?"

Eventually, we had to give up... and Bolt was off home. A wonderful way to end her trip. I wish she could be here every weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment