Friday, January 27, 2012

Confessions of a secret fat kid

In New York City there is no lunch line as long as outside any salad bar. The salad options here are amazing and during the working week I am a frequent patron of Devon and Blakely. The create your own salads there are my favorite.... I always have the same combination of ingredients and Noodles and I compete to get the most veges our bowl.

Being half Malaysian, it is in my blood to be obsessed with food. I am always eating or thinking about my next meal.... worst case I am begrudgingly dieting after eating too much. I have recently found a new hobby trawling Open Table for new restaurants to try. On Thursday evening I had ate at Basta Pasta and one of the ladies I dined with mused that most of her vacations are spent either eating or killing time between meals. That is how to live!

I made reservation for five on Friday at a Paella bar hoping I could find five friends to join me. I did, and we had the time of our lives. It was wonderful and the food was great too.

Of course most nights don't involve eating out. On Tuesday at work my colleague ordered two pita bread sandwiches to the office for dinner and I was so jealous. I began to drool and we started talking about food. He (finally) exclaimed:

"You're always eating salads for lunch, but it's a facade, isn't it? You are a secret fat kid."

Wow! So true. Since then "secret fat kid" has become somewhat of a nickname. Now that the secret was out I considering joining him for few sandwiches... but I had to run... my mum's friend and my long term Facebook friend J was visiting New York and we had plans for dinner. Exciting!

I met J at her hotel for the first time in real life. She was gorgeous and glowed from the inside. I instantly warmed to her. We enjoyed a walk through Chinatown and Nolita to the restaurant, Barmarche, on Elizabeth and Spring Street.


It is such a funky space - unique and warm. An eclectic mix of ornaments hang on the walls. The cocktails are to die for and the food is even better. I had a reservation, but aside from the crowd of people at the bar, it was quite empty. J's company was fabulous, it was a pleasure to get to know her. She is an interesting and warm women. We had a lot of fun and laughed about travel, New York, coffee, shopping, cameras and food.

It was too dark for photos, however, J passed by the restaurant the next day and took a snapshot. Quite a contrast from how it looks at night.



J knows her food! My Mum has told me she is a remarkable cook and she was far more aware of the New York restaurant scene than myself. We both ordered risotto and it was delectable. J too one mouthful an had to stop the conversation, "sorry, I have to have a moment of silence for this." Fair call.

After such a great meal, neither of us could say no to dessert. The chocolate cake looked the best by far (I told you I was a fat kid) however they were out.... out of cake! We both settled for the Churros. The waiter was somewhat concerned when we both ordered a serving and he suggested we just get one plate to share.

It came and he was right, it was huge! They were scrumptious. Crisp on the outside and unbelievable soft in the middle. A dream to eat. J declared that they were the best Churros ever - even better then in Spain. As we gorged ourselves our waiter came over:

Waiter: "Aren't you glad you just got one serving?"
J and I: <Looking at our huge plate> "Yes!"

We spoke afterwards and agreed that despite the size of the order we were not glad we had only ordered one. We could easily have eaten a serving each. They were just so delicious! We both decided we just couldn't help it. J has a passion for good food - that is my kind of girl. I guess we can both be secret fat kids... in fact, I think it would be a popular club! Now, I guess I better hit the treadmill...


(Thanks J for the pictures!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment