Thursday, January 26, 2012

Further complaints about the weather (Saturday night in the snow)

On Saturday it snowed! It looked magical through the window... and it was wonderful drudging down Stone Street in rain boots on my way to brunch. It was the most snow I have ever seen and it was wonderful... That is until I tried to go out on Saturday night.

I can confirm that rain boots are not acceptable evening wear in Manhattan. Regular boots are an OK alternative... but they don't provide the necessary grip. I was slipping and sliding all over the place. It's borderline terrifying!



Our group of girls met outside the restaurant I had chosen. It was a very unique, funky place in SoHo - Barmarche. We went inside and asked if we could put down our names... they looked at as us if we were crazy. "Come back after ten and then we can talk..." A little concerning, but that was OK - L rationalized it with a sense of humor - "Dinner before 10pm? That's so middle America."

We headed off to the closest bar - it was too cold to stay outside for long, and biding our time bonding over wine and cocktails. We wondered back to the restaurant later in the evening and were seated quickly. In fact the place was quite empty by this point. We ate and drank and gossiped for a really long time. At mid night we reached a point - did we stay at our table or go somewhere else? Go somewhere else.

Big mistake.

The bar we had chosen - which incidentally I have never seen too busy - has a line reaching a block down the street. We joined it, but were disheartened. It was so cold! My feet were freezing. I've been to Sweet and Vicious before - it's nice, but not worth hypothermia.



So off we trudged through the snow down Spring Street. We finally found a dive bar that looked OK. People were crammed inside worse than sardines. We squished in, happy to be out of the cold. It was miserable! It was not long before we quit and headed home. Guess the snow isn't quite as fun when you face it outdoors. I'm going to have to get thicker socks.

1 comment:

  1. Buy woollen socks. Trust me on this one. They are oodles warmer.

    Also, they're nice to wear.

    ReplyDelete