Monday, May 2, 2011

Making News...

So Osama Bin Laden is dead and, as being reported, the atmosphere in New York is euphoric.

Potato, who stays at Times Square was kept up all night by the chanting "USA, USA, USA"... E (who is downtown with me) got up in the middle of the night went down to Ground Zero to take photos of the cheering crowds. She got a good one of some guys climbing a traffic light.

As for me? I found out when my Mum, in Australia, texted me in the morning. I actually was awake when the news broke out... and I was watching television... but apparently The Princess Diaries is too dramatic to interrupt with this breaking news?? ABC Family disappoints....

So, what is the atmosphere like in NY? One girl was telling me her sister went to a college celebration and her friend was trampled in the mayhem and broke her foot. E told me it as all very calm at Ground Zero. She said the crowd went between quiet and chanting.. but there was no pushing or shoving. A lot of people had candles.

I overheard some people talking in the cafeteria "Now Obama is going to try and take credit for what Bush started"... Seriously... that's the comment you want to make now?

The whole thing was reminding me of when Dorothy tips the bucket of water on the Wicked Witch... and they all celebrate with Ding dong the witch is dead! So out of curiosity I Google "Ding Dong Osama is dead"... it pulls a lot of results.

I guess the thing is, a least where I am, its all still very raw for people... I think that what they really want is closure. It's hard for me to understand why people chant and become boisterous, but I can only sympathise with what they went through.

In other news... Australia, please explain why, on such a big news day, events in Sydney made the Wall Street Journal...



http://sojustinbeiber.com/celebritynews/justin-bieber-pelted-eggs-sydney-wall-street-journal-blog-0

No comments:

Post a Comment