Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Little Poland

This Sunday Potato managed to get me to accompany him to Greenpoint, Brooklyn - an area populated with Polish New Yorkers. (Not that it's ever been hard to get me to go to Brooklyn.) Potato's Mama had called him earlier in the week to recommend a Polish restaurant. I overheard the conversation: Potato said "hodsfjbkasfjohrl kgkef josdjfhskjd jig Skype", which roughly translates to "Mum, I'll go to the Polish restaurant, but just stop hasseling me infront of my friends. I heart Skype."

How could I say no to Mama Potato's recommendation? We tore ourselves away from the spectical that is Union Square...



...And, we were off to Brooklyn.

After taking three subways and losing Noodles along the way, we were in Greenpoint. "So, Potato, which way from here..." Needless to say he did not know. Without a map (aka Noodles), we were stuck wandering about the streets of Brooklyn. Not that this ever a bad thing... After a few blocks long time Brooklyn skeptic and first time visitor, Potato, was won over. "I'm coming back here next weekend, to find a Polish wife and a Polish house in a Polish street and live happily ever after as a butcher's apprentice." So, maybe he wasn't getting the same takeaways from Brooklyn as me... But a new member of the fan club is always welcome.




We found the Polish restaurant we were looking for - too bad it was boarded up! Wasn't going to deter us - after all we were in Poland, I mean Brooklyn, baby!

A few blocks over we found another Polish place with all of Grandma Potato's favourites. Very cute and simple - cafeteria style. The Polish girl at the counter was adorable - I will be sending Potato back next week without me - the 'dumb, non Polish speaking sister', ruining his game.

I had schnitzel and pickles and Potato had potato cakes (fitting!) It all got the stamp of approval, "just like Granny makes!"

Anyway, I think this means that Noodles and I will be losing the Hermoine to our Ron & Harry, because Potato hasn't stopped talking about how much he loves Polish Brooklyn ever since.

1 comment:

  1. My boyfriend is a Polish New Yorker . :) He loves speaking to me in Polish although I don't understand much of what he says. I enrolled myself in Preply.com ( http://preply.com/en/polish-by-skype ) to learn a few basic words/phrases. I was surprised! I learned more than that in a few sessions. :) I'll be surprising him after a few more sessions. We'll be meeting in Skype this weekend (he's back in Poland for a little visit to his family) and I hope he likes what I've learned.

    ReplyDelete