Sunday, December 11, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Christmas in New York has been romanticized in songs, books, movies and television for generations. In fact, over the past few weeks, I have discovered that despite growing up in Sydney, New York in December is the embodiment of what I perceive to be the perfect Christmas. From the Macy's Santa Clause on 34th Street, to silver bells ringing. The Rockefeller Christmas tree towers over the city and people flock to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular and the New York City Ballet's production of the Nutcracker. A white Christmas in New York City is what Frank Sinatra crooned about. There is nothing quite like Christmas in New York.

Christmas in the city begins immediately after Thanksgiving. The fall decorations come down and are replaced by magical green wreaths and trees. The pine smells amazing and the decorations are uniformally red, green and gold. There is no Christmas tree too big and no decoration too many. Evergreens that have been cut down are wrapped up and ready for sale to line the streets.



The trees that have lost their leaves and those that line the paths are wrapped tightly in fairy lights.



People everywhere are adorned in Santa hats and Salvation Army volunteers line the streets ringing their bells and singing for donations. Every store plays Christmas carols between the regular pop music. Even the radio throws in some Christmas hits.



Starbucks offers holiday flavors in red snowflake cups. Peppermint mocha, gingerbread, pumpkin spice and eggnog. On a cold afternoon Lizard and I tried the gingerbread latte. It was strange at first, but it warmed us up inside and the ginger was spicy and unusual. Since then, I have made it my mission to try each of the holiday flavors. I am yet to try creme brulee, but so far I am loving eggnog. It's amazing! It tastes like caramel and condensed milk. So good, so sweet. Sooooo many calories!

Eggnog Latte

I took a friend to try American pie at Bubby's. We had the pumpkin pie and it was life changing! As much as I am craving my Nanna's fruit mince pies, I'm loving this American Christmas food.



The city streets are like a war zone with shoppers everywhere. Children are excited, running into walls and pressing extra buttons in the elevators. Parents are out adorned with thousands of bags and strollers. Crowds that flock to see the Rockerfeller tree and ice skate at one of the many outdoor rings are unbelievable.


The city went crazy this weekend with Santa Con, where most of the city seems to dress up as Santa (or an elf) and wander the streets. The city feels crazy with Santas everywhere. Good chance to save money on a picture of your kid with Santa though.



As with at home, there is sensitivity around Christmas being a Christian holiday. Unlike in Australia where we are given two days holiday, Americans take Christmas day alone. It is the only religious day that is given a national holiday. This doesn't stop the city from adorning itself in Christmas decorations. Of course, there are Hanukkah decorations too... if only to make the Christmas ones kosher politically correct.

Christmas trees are everywhere, so my visiting friend from Boston was surprised when I stopped to take a picture of the tree on Wall Street.

Boston: Why that tree? It's not even a good one!
Me: I'm not taking a photo of the tree! I'm taking a photo of the Menorah! 


Why is it so small?



I love Christmas, but I should add here that I am not a Christian. Christmas is my favorite time of the year. Family, food, fairy lights, shopping and presents! Santa Clause, Christmas carols, fruit mince pies and traditions. I just love it. So I think it's a bit much when people get sensitive about Christmas trees and magic puddings. Having said that, I was sympathetic when a Jewish friend told me about waking up on Christmas morning and stringing pop corn to a potted plant so that she too could have a Christmas tree. In contrast, in my Muslim household, we had everything but the Christmas ham.

This year I have enjoyed creating my own American style Christmas at home.


So now I can tick off Christmas in New York with a big joyful Merry Christmas! ... and Happy Hanukkah!

1 comment:

  1. Laura linked me to the blog and I love this! Makes me want to spend Christmas in NYC. Oh wait, we are! :D

    ReplyDelete